Buying a property can be one of the most exciting decisions you will ever make. It could also be the most stressful lifetime experiences if you make costly mistakes.
We’ve put together a few tips in a checklist that will hopefully help you through what should be an exciting journey.
You can copy and print out the checklist and take it to inspections with you and refer back to it through the buying journey.
- Is the Property Within Your Budget? – Don’t overcommit
- At the Inspection Don’t Show Too Much Emotion – Don’t get overexcited.
- Look with your eyes open – Check painting, guttering, fencing these costs add up and can turn into thousands of dollars
- Is there any evidence of paint patching were something may have been covered up such as mould?
- What renovations would you need to do and how much would this cost? – Can you afford these renovations?
- Check the meter box – has the property been rewired if it is older?
- Check the date on the Hot Water System – Is it under 5 years old?
- Do the appliances work? – Oven, cooktop, dishwasher etc?
- What state are the floor coverings in?
- Does the property need repainting?
Buy within your means overcommitting can cause significant stress and a toll on relationships. Make sure you have at least 3 months in mortgage repayments in case you lose your job or become ill.
Finally, when buying, buy with your head and not your heart.